Look for a deep-dive report today from the NTIA about home adoption of broadband, based on census data. Non-adoption is based on price (about a third) but also correlates with income and socio-economic factors.
This morning the Commerce Spectrum Management Advisory Committee meets. Site is here. If you’re interested in spectrum policy, you’ll want to read the draft reports here, which include a host of recommendations:
- Commerce should define efficiency targets for developers of new radio systems
- NTIA should create a National Spectrum Technology Roadmap, which would require future spectrum users to accommodate unlicensed/spectrum efficient technologies
- New unlicensed bands should be designed to encourage the development of cognitive radio technologies
- Spectrum fees for government use of spectrum should be considered
- Dedicated funding for clearing federal bands and facilitating experimentation with sharing should be established (“Spectrum Innovation Fund”)
A U.S.-India Open DIalogue on Open Government is being launched. International coordination on transparency, openness, and use of technology to serve citizens is gaining traction – there’s an international meeting on open government data in DC later this month. Go, Open Government Initiative and Beth Noveck.